Wednesday

Sanctity of Life - "Protection of Life or Celebration of holy power of Life?"


By Paul Dion, STL

This Sunday, January 27, is National Sanctity of Life Day in the United States. This was a holiday instituted by President Reagan in 1984 to remember all the unborn children who have been innocently aborted as a result of the Roe. V. Wade decision by the U.S. Supreme Court. It is celebrated every year on the Sunday that is closest to the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. In many Catholic parishes everywhere, the Sanctity of Life will be celebrated to coincide with this national day of remembrance.

I have a question for all of you. Let me give you some background.

Genesis, chapter 1, verse 27: "God created man in the image of Himself, in the image of God He created him, male and female He created them."

Psalm 139, verses 13 & 14; 23 & 24: "It was you who created my inmost self, and put me together in my mother's womb; for all these mysteries I thank you; for the wonder of myself, for the wonder of your works. God, examine me and know my heart, probe me and know my thoughts; make sure that I do not follow pernicious ways, and guide me in the way that is everlasting."

Ecclesiastes, chapter 3, verse 1 & 2: "There is a season for everything, a time for every occupation under heaven: A time for giving birth, a time for dying: A time for planting and a time for harvesting what has been planted."
Wisdom, chapter 3, verses 5 through 7: "(The virtuous)...God has out them to the test and proved them to be worthy to be with Him; He has tested them like gold in A furnace, and accepted them as a holocaust. When the time comes for His visitation they will shine out; as sparks run through the stubble, so will they. "

Gospel according to Luke, chapter 2, verse 22: "And when the day came for them to be purified as laid down by the Law of Moses, they took Him up to Jerusalem to present Him to the Lord..."
I could go on and on.

We are created by God in His image and resemblence. We are therefore like unto Him. He is Divine. We are His procreative managers. That means that we are set aside from all other creatures in order to exercise the authority of God to make this a better world.

It is therefore my conclusion that this is not a day for the protection of life, but a day to celebrate the holy power of life.

Do you agree?

Share your ideas and thoughts with us. Post a comment today.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:50 PM

    It should really be both...in my thoughts. I/we need to be grateful for the gift of our life, and strive to respond to God's call to live as He directs. That is living the power of our life. But we should also protect the life of those unborn or ill because they too have the potential to respond to God. We should not interfere.

    ReplyDelete