Sunday

Can we who are sinful be part of Jesus’ mission?

By Wally Arida

In the Gospel of Luke, a reluctant Peter was astonished at the abundance of the fish he caught at the Lord's instruction. He declared, “Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.” And in another post-resurrection Gospel story, Jesus asks Peter a question, "Do you love me?" Peter answers that he indeed does. Jesus replies, “Feed my sheep.” Click here to read the story.

How would you feel if he asked the same question of you? Stay with it. Think about it. Pray about it.

Here's the Burning Question: Can we who are sinful be part of Jesus’ mission?

We don’t have to be perfect? We are forgiven? Please answer these questions from your heart. And share your reflections with our Catholic brothers and sisters.

3 comments:

  1. My answer is this.
    Rahab helped Joshua's spies to gather intelligence in Jericho to facilitate the invasion of the Israelites and allow them to enter the Promised Land. Rahab was a harlot. (Joshua, chapter 2)
    David was an adulterer and a murderer.
    We all know Peter and we all know Paul. God does not recruit the qualified. God qualifies those who do His work. Take heart, brethren, God needs all of us, and He has a plan for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I forgot Jonah, the castaway! The pagan operators of the boat gave him (threw him back) to the God from whom he was running. While I'm at it, I have to mention Augustine.
    By the way, in my many years of being around the Church, I have lived through my own sinfulness and that of others. I am now side by side (electronically, whom I know in person)with a person who is in her fifth year of the struggle to "legitimize" herself legally and morally. Her faith is saving her and helping those of us who witness her constant battle. Those of us who know her, are convinced that she is sent to us by God Himself. So, sinners though we be, Priests, Prophets and Kings are we.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:17 PM

    1. We Humans are not perfect, but we are in the journey to perfection.
    That is what God wants for us, and we have to work for that perfection. God sent us Jesus to show us the way to follow.

    2. God is Love and Kindness and He gave us the Sacrament of Reconciliation to be reconciled with Him.

    ReplyDelete